City of London
28 days ago
Technical Data Modeler
Permanent, Full Time
Salary - Up to £120,000
This is a Data Modeler role with a Technical/Developer component in the Corporate Investment Bank Information Architecture team. This CIB has a wide Data Management agenda, and key elements of this include having well-defined data models with a consistent meta-model (that defines what constitutes a valid model), having Information Architects create valid models, being able to forward-engineer assets from these models and being able to convert other data models or information into data models consistent with the CIB meta-model. Our data models are less "diagrams for discussion", and are more higher-level specifications of data, behavior and associated componentry. Data models are the primary "data" for the CIB team - we create tools to read them, to write them and to process them. We treat data models as much as a kind of data as we do as being data models.
Effective engineering of models requires a good understanding of both the metamodel and the source/target of the model transformation. A successful candidate will need to be literate at reading and interpreting data models and be able to become intimately familiar with source and target languages/formats and their supporting ecosystems of libraries and tools. The successful candidate will be expected to help with producing tooling for reading, writing and processing data models, and also with some changes to data models themselves or to the CIB meta-model. Additionally, the candidate will be expected to provide support in organising the backlog of work requests for the CIB metamodel and associated tooling.
The successful candidate may also be asked to work on techniques and tooling for analysis of data and metadata.
Working in this area, in this environment, will provide exposure to Information Architecture as a discipline, and to a higher-level view of data and processing than is normally found in a Development role. This role therefore represents a great opportunity to work at a higher and more sophisticated level in the Information Architecture stack.
Experience & Knowledge Essential
- An interest in data and metadata and an appreciation of the value it can bring to an organization if it's properly understood, organized and governed.
- Ability to read and understand UML class models, and experience with at least one other kind of data model (e.g. Entity/Relationship models, XML or JSON schemas, RDF/OWL/SHACL).
- Use of Data Modelling tool(s) such as MagicDraw, ERWin, Power Designer, IDE plugins, ...
- Understanding of how a data model could be read, processed or written using target programming or schema languages.
- Experience using one or more serialized data formats, such as XML, JSON, Apache Avro, Google Protobuff, ...
- Experience using one or more schema languages, such as XSD, JSONSchema, Avro Schema, Protobuff Schema
- Experience collaborating with business and technical teams in order to understand, translate, review and playback requirements and to collaborate to develop Model Engineering solutions.
- Experience communicating unambiguously through multiple channels such as Presentations, Word Documents, workshops and meetings.
- Knowledge of Jupyter Notebooks or similar for documentation and presentation of code and data.
- Experience working with models and metadata, such as code analysis or code generation.
- Knowledge of and experience in Software Engineering Methodologies (e.g. Agile).
- Knowledge of and experience in Financial Services, and more specifically Corporate and Investment Banking.
- Knowledge of and experience in third party Data Standards (preferably Financial) such as SWIFT, FIX or FpML.
- A willingness to bring an outside perspective to the team, ask questions and learn from breadth and depth of experience of the current IA team.
- A "growth mindset", willing to take on challenges.
- The flexibility to be able to switch between concurrent project assignments.
- An ability to envisage and compare potential solutions prior to implementation.
Please get in touch if you're interested!
McGregor Boyall is an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on any grounds.